Institute for Applied Economic Research (IAW)
The Institute for Applied Economic Research, located in Tübingen, Germany, is an independent and non-university research institute. It was founded on July 17th , 1957 on the initiative of Prof. Dr. Hans Peter who was followed as Institute director by Prof. Dr. Ing. Dr. Dr. h.c. Carl Föhl (1959-1963), Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Karl Brandt (1963), Prof. Dr. Alfred Ott (1963-1992), Prof. Dr. Adolf Wagner (1992-1997), Prof. Dr. Gerd Ronning and Prof. Dr. Manfred Stadler (1997-2000), and Prof. Dr. Gerd Ronning (2000-2004). Prof. Dr. Claudia M. Buch has been the Institute’s Director since January 1st , 2005.
The Institute is legally a registered, non-profit membership cooperation for the support of the sciences and research (IAW e.V.). The Chairman of the Executive Committee is Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Rall (Senior Partner of McKinsey&Company, Stuttgart). The Vice-Chairman is Eberhard Reiff (Honorary President Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Reutlingen). Members of the Executive Committee include Prof. Dr. Dres. h.c. Norbert Kloten†, who held the office of chairman from 1979 until 2003, and Prof. Dr. Claudia M. Buch (both from the University of Tübingen). Other members are well-known personalities and companies, mainly from the southwest of Germany. The Ministry of Economics of Baden-Württemberg participates in financing the IAW. The main part of the budget, however, is obtained through commissioned work. The Institute also receives a large share of its financing from donations and fees from members.
The IAW is a member of the association of German Economic Research Institutes e.V. (ARGE).