Institute for Applied Economic Research (IAW)
The Institute for Applied Economic Research, located in Tübingen, Germany, is an independent and non-university research institute. It was founded on July 17th , 1957 on the initiative of Prof. Dr. Hans Peter who was followed as Institute director by Prof. Dr. Ing. Dr. Dr. h.c. Carl Föhl (1959-1963), Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Karl Brandt (1963), Prof. Dr. Alfred Ott (1963-1992), Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Adolf Wagner (1992-1997), Prof. Dr. Gerd Ronning and Prof. Dr. Manfred Stadler (1997-2000), Prof. Dr. Gerd Ronning (2000-2004), and Prof. Dr. Claudia M. Buch (2005-2013). Since September 1st, 2013 the position of Scientific Director is held jointly by Prof. Dr. Bernhard Boockmann and Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Kohler.
The Institute is legally a registered, non-profit membership cooperation for the support of the sciences and research (IAW e.V.). The Chairman of the Executive Committee is Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Rall (Senior Partner of McKinsey&Company, Stuttgart). The Vice-Chairman is Eberhard Reiff (Honorary President Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Reutlingen). Members of the Executive Committee include Prof. Dr. Dres. h.c. Norbert Kloten†, who held the office of chairman from 1979 until 2003, and Prof. Dr. Bernhard Boockmann and Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Kohler (both from the University of Tübingen). Other IAW members are well-known personalities and companies, mainly from the southwest of Germany. The Ministry of Finance and Economics Baden-Württemberg participates in financing the IAW. The main part of the budget, however, is obtained through commissioned work. In addition, the Institute receives a share of its financing from donations and fees from members.
The IAW is a member of the association of German Economic Research Institutes e.V. (ARGE).