The importance of industry-oriented services in Baden-Württemberg under particular consideration of digitization
Aside from the sectoral structural change, an increasing importance of the service sector has also been evident in the manufacturing industries. It has been established as a direct supplier to the industry. Therefore, the industry-oriented service sector directly contributes to innovation and the implementation of digitization and has therefore become vital to a competitive industry location.
Baden-Württemberg is shaped by the manufacturing industry and its specific structure (importance of small and medium-sized enterprises, Hidden champions, innovation). The industry-services association is of steadily growing importance, also through the digitization process in the context of Industrie 4.0, which will radically alter the working world. Previous research has indicated important connections and has pointed to the routine-, analytical and interactive jobs as being particularly affected. Yet, a clear projection of which jobs will be eliminated or altered due to the digitization and what will be the consequences for the sectoral structural change is still lacking. In this context the study pursues the following objectives:
- Definition and statistical distinction of industry-oriented and product supporting services, hybrid value added, as well as the aspects of digitization.
- Describing and analyzing the quantitative importance of the industry-oriented services, as well as the size and structure of the industry-services association in Baden-Württemberg in relation to Germany as a whole.
- Analyzing the importance of industry-oriented services for innovation in industrial enterprises in Baden-Württemberg.
- Analyzing the importance of hybrid value added, as well as the interaction between product supporting services and innovations in industrial enterprises in Baden-Württemberg.
- Investigating the importance of digitization in the industry-services association in Baden-Württemberg, as well as the potential of digitization for the development of the interface industry-services.
- Depicting the possible development stages and overall potential for industry-oriented and product supporting services in Baden-Württemberg, as well as deriving the options for action in order to strengthen them.
January 17, 2019: Forum "Dienstleistungsinnovation und Digitalisierung" am Fraunhofer IAO in Stuttgart-Vaihingen
In cooperation with:
- Fraunhofer-Institut für System- und Innovationsforschung ISI, Karlsruhe
- Leibniz-Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung GmbH (ZEW), Mannheim
- Prof. Dr. Tobias Kronenberg (Hochschule Bochum)
- Johannes Többen, PhD
- Ministerium für Wirtschaft, Arbeit und Wohnungsbau Baden-Württemberg
Project team: Andreas Koch (Tel: 07071 9896 12 // Email)
2016 until 2019 (finished)