The Institute for Applied Economic Research, located in Tübingen, Germany, is an independent research institute at the University of Tübingen. It was founded on July 17th, 1957 on the initiative of Prof. Dr. Hans Peter who was followed as Institute director by Prof. Dr. Ing. Dr. Dr. h.c. Carl Föhl (1959-1963), Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Karl Brandt (1963), Prof. Dr. Alfred Ott (1963-1992), Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Adolf Wagner (1992-1997), Prof. Dr. Gerd Ronning and Prof. Dr. Manfred Stadler (1997-2000), Prof. Dr. Gerd Ronning (2000-2004), and Prof. Dr. Claudia M. Buch (2005-2013). Prof. Dr Bernhard Boockmann and Prof. Dr Wilhelm Kohler jointly headed the Institute from September 2013 to August 2023. From 1 September 2023, Prof. Dr Martin Biewen succeeded Prof. Dr Kohler.
The Institute is legally a registered, non-profit membership cooperation for the support of the sciences and research (IAW e.V.). On 22 May 2014, a cooperation agreement has been closed with the University of Tübingen. The Chairman of the Executive Committee is Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Rall. The Vice-Chairman is Eberhard Reiff (Honorary President Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Reutlingen). Members of the Executive Committee include Prof. Dr. Bernhard Boockmann, and Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Kohler (both Scientific Directors of the IAW). Other IAW members are well-known personalities and companies, mainly from the southwest of Germany. The Ministry of Finance and Economics of Baden-Württemberg participates in financing the IAW. The main part of the budget, however, is obtained through commissioned work. In addition, the Institute receives a share of its financing from donations and fees from members.
The IAW is a member of the association of German Economic Research Institutes e.V. (ARGE).